Wedding apparel as a guest can be challenging, especially when you are unsure of proper etiquette. While in the past it may have been frowned upon, a classic little black dress is always a great option for wedding wear. If you have upcoming nuptials that you are going to attend, grabbing a traditional little black dress is a great way to feel confident and look amazing.
There are countless websites that offer little black dresses in a variety of sizes and styles. When choosing a little black dress, women should consider the season and overall formality of the wedding in question. It is best to choose a higher end dress that can become a closet staple compared to buying a cheaper dress that may not last.
When it comes to the classic little black dress, there are fewer things that fit every occasion. You will want to find a dress that flatters your figure and that you feel comfortable in, while also keeping weddings in mind. Before jumping into the absolute best dresses available today, we will discuss wedding etiquette and things to keep in mind!
Is it OK to Wear a Black Dress to a Wedding?
Wedding etiquette is constantly changing and evolving, making it challenging to stay up to date on trends. While in the past black dresses and even menswear were sort of frowned upon, they are much more acceptable today. Most couples do not mind when guests wear darker colors to their wedding, as long as it is done tastefully and not in a way that appears they are mourning.
The key to wearing black clothing to weddings is that the style is more formal, versus something that would be worn to a funeral or mourning ceremony. If you are questioning an outfit, it may be best to pair it with brighter accessories or find an option that is not stark black but rather a charcoal shade. Also, if you are attending nuptials and do not know if your outfit fits the dress code in mind, simply ask the couple.
The Top 10 Little Black Dresses to Wear to a Wedding
If you are searching for a new black dress for upcoming nuptials you are attending, some of the best choices on the market today are:
1. Chiara Boni - La Petite Robe
This beautiful piece is sold at Neiman Marcus and is a great cocktail dress piece. While one of the more expensive on our list, this classic little black dress can live in your wardrobe for years to come and will be the perfect fit for practically any occasion. It is the perfect semi-formal attire piece that can be dressed up or down to fit the wedding you are attending.
Chiara Boni has been designing beautiful women’s wear pieces since 2007. Each piece is the perfect combination of classic elegance and comfortability, perfect for a wedding. Some things to keep in mind about this specific piece are:
- Fabric – This beautiful cocktail dress has stretch-jersey, giving it added comfortability.
- Fit – The dress has a fitted silhouette, three-quarter length sleeves, and a knee-length hem. It is perfect for spring or fall weddings.
- Care – The dress is made in Italy and is dry clean only.
- Features – It has a slit detail, overlap skirt, and bateau neckline.
- Cost – You can purchase the dress for $695, but coupons are often available on the website.
While this is a bit more expensive than others on our dress, it is absolutely stunning and will become your go to wedding guest dress.
2. Michael Kors - Textured Stretch-Viscose Dress
To take things into the more affordable range, this next dress is a beautiful piece from a well-loved designer. This Michael Kors dress comes in at a very reasonable $195 but still has the class and style for a variety of weddings. The dress stands out due to its stretch viscose, which gives is a fitted appearance but enough stretch to remain comfortable.
If you want a diverse piece, this is the dress for you as it will fit in anywhere from formal weddings to workplace events. Some things to keep in mind regarding this piece are:
- Style – It is short sleeve, making it a top choice for summer months or even destination weddings.
- Fit – It has a 35” hem. Many find it is a good length for less formal events but is still very conservative.
- Fabric – The dress is made from 64% viscose, 35% nylon, and 1% elastane, allowing you to machine wash it as needed.
If ease of wear and wash is what you want, this machine washable dress is a great option. It is simple to wear and a beautiful piece.
3. Emporio Armani – Short-Sleeved Cady Pleated-Skirt Dress
Giorgio Armani is a classic name for those who are interested in fashion, and this little black dress is from the company’s diffusion line. The dress features all of the classic Armani style that many love, in a unique way. This dress is also sold at Neiman Marcus and can be yours for $395.
The dress itself is the perfect cocktail dress for impressing wedding goers and feeling confident. The dress comes in classic Italian sizes, which means you may want to refer to the size chart featured on the website when ordering. Some other basic things to keep in mind when shopping for this dress are:
- Style – It has a beautiful V neckline with an A-line silhouette. It is the perfect mixture of classic style with femininity.
- Fit – The dress is short sleeves, ideal for warmer months. It comes in at around knee length, keeping it formal enough for weddings.
- Detail – The princess seams along the skirt transform into pleats, giving the dress a unique look and added detail.
If you want something a bit different but still featuring the classic little black dress style, this is a great choice for you.
4. Milly – Cara Off-the-Shoulder Cady Dress
Another Cady style dress, this is a great choice for those who want a more feminine and elegant piece. The dress features a classic sweetheart neckline that fits in beautifully at practically any wedding. The dress itself is made by Milly, a bold and contemporary fashion company.
This dress is perfect for those who want to look amazing and flatter their figure. The dress has impeccable attention to detail that adds to the luxury of the piece. Some additional features of the piece are:
- Style – This cocktail dress hits at about the knee in length and is short sleeved.
- Detail – The back of the dress features a slit at the center.
- Fabric – It is a combination of polyester and spandex, giving you a flattering yet flexible fit.
If you want a dress that will last but tend to fluctuate between a couple of sizes, this stretchy option is a great choice! It will flatter a variety of body shapes and offers a forgiving materials.
5. Michael Kors - Pleated Georgette Halter Dress
This is a simple halter style dress that works well at a variety of wedding events. The piece is a more unique style than many others on our list but works well in even a highly formal event. The A-line silhouette falls into a handkerchief hem, that works beautifully in summer events.
The beautiful halter style dress ties beautifully with a gold-tone tie at your neck. Truly, this is a beautiful piece that will be beautiful at any wedding. Some things to keep in mind before purchasing this piece are:
- Fabric – This piece is a 100% polyester georgette, with a 100% cotton lining.
- Care – The dress is dry clean only.
- Costs – You can be the lucky owner of this amazing piece for only $195.
This halter style can be flattering on a variety of body shapes and will add detail that others on our piece may not offer.
6. Dress the Population – Emery Sequin Embellished Long-Sleeve Bodycon Dress
Perhaps the flashiest dress on our list, this full sequin piece is one that is sure to turn heads. This is ideal for classier events that make you want to step up your style even further. The dress comes in at just under $300, but is highly detailed and designed to last.
Dress the Population is a Los Angeles based brand that was founded in 2011. The brand is focused on creating high end pieces that feature premium materials at more affordable rates. Some things to keep in mind regarding this dress are:
- Fit – This piece features a boat neckline, long sleeves, and a hem that hits right below the knee.
- Style – You will add a bit of femininity and detail with the low-cut, v-shaped back. There is a hidden zip and center back slit on the dress as well.
If you are more body conscious, this silhouette is guaranteed to flatter a wide array of body shapes. The cocktail dress is designed to give you elegance and make you feel beautiful.
7. Theory – Classic Power Dress
This design screams “little black dress” with its classic, sleek lines. Whether you are in the boardroom or attending a summer wedding, this sleeveless piece can be dressed to fit practically any occasion. If you want a closet staple that you can count on, this is it.
The dress costs around $355 but will be one of the most versatile pieces in your closet guaranteed. This is a perfect piece for adding accessories or pops of color. Before purchasing, some things to keep in mind are:
- Style – The dress features a sheath style silhouette, which is designed to flatter. This style will work well in a variety of events from casual to formal.
- Detail – There are many attention to detail moments that make this dress a favorite, including the tonal stitching and concealed back zip.
- Fit – When purchasing, most buyers found that the dress fit true to their traditional size.
If you want something that can be used for formal events and small, simple weddings, this is a great choice for you. It can become a wardrobe staple and worn with little work.
8. Michael Kors – Matte Jersey Tie-Neck Ruched Dress
This is a great choice for fall and winter weddings, as the dress features longer sleeves and a more conservative neckline. When paired with tights or a nice jacket, this dress could truly work for practically any season. The piece is designed to flatter practically any figure and features a stretch jersey material for comfortability.
This dress is one of our most affordable on the list, costing less than $150. The neckline of this piece is extremely elegant and will work at more formal events. Some additional things to keep in mind about the dress are:
- Style – This piece pairs beautifully with accessories and can be easily dressed up or down.
- Detail – The dress has a ruched mini skirt with a ruffle trim that add attention to detail.
- Care – This is an easy dress to add to your closet as it can be machine washed as needed.
If you want something that is affordable, comfortable, and classic enough to use time and again, this is a great choice for you!
9. Black Halo – Jackie 3/4 -Sleeve Sheath Dress
Another sleek and classic design, this little black dress is perfect for those who want to look elegant at a big event. This dress would look good on a variety of ages and body shapes, making it great for those who want something that will last for years to come. It features a leather belt that can be adjusted to add shape to the design and tailor your look.
While the dress does come in a classic black shade, making it perfect for our list, it also comes in a few other color options for those who may want a varying style. The dress features a unique asymmetrical neckline that many love and draws attention upward. Some other key features of this beautiful piece are:
- Style – The dress works for a variety of seasons as it features ¾ length sleeves and a knee length hem.
- Detail – In addition to the unique neckline, the dress has princess seams, a set-in waist, and a V in the back.
- Fit – This piece is a bit more fitted, but the belt feature does allow for some adjustability.
This dress works amazingly for weddings and other formal events but can also be used in a workplace setting. This makes it well worth the price for your wardrobe.
10. Reiss – Lara Popover Sweater Dress
Our list would not be complete without a little black dress that is perfect for any winter event. This dress is a classic sweater dress with unique details that make it perfect for semi-formal events. The dress comes in at $345 but is designed with quality materials that will feel great and last for years to come.
If you have a wedding to attend during the cooler months, this dress is ideal. While it does have a knee length hem, the longer sleeves and thicker material will help keep you warm. Some things to keep in mind about this beautiful piece before purchasing are:
- Style – This dress features a beautiful straight neck design. This allows for some versatility, as it can easily be worn off the shoulder if desired.
- Wear – The dress is one of the easiest to wear on our list, featuring a pullover style. When paired with higher end accessories and heels, it is perfect for a semiformal event.
- Fit – Many who have purchased the dress do say that it is made small. If you are questioning which size will work best, it may be better to size up one from your traditional fit.
Perfect for colder events, this dress can be paired with tights or knee high boots for any winter occasion.
(For more warm little black dresses, check out these 5 stylish little black dresses with sleeves available on Amazon!)
Can a Female Guest Wear Black to a Wedding?
As mentioned, black dresses used to be frowned upon but are now widely accepted at most weddings. Any of our dresses listed above can be easily worn to a wedding and will look absolutely beautiful. For more formal events, you can easily add accessories or heels to dress up a classic little black dress.
Some ways that you can easily wear a little black dress to any wedding without feeling out of place or inappropriate are:
- Avoid wearing a dress that is too low cut, too short, or too tight. You want something that flatters your shape and does not overpower the bride. Wearing something with a classic cut is a great idea!
- Consider the time of day the event is being held and the overall theme of the day. A destination beach wedding may not be the right choice for a black dress. However, an afternoon formal event will be little black dress approved.
- For summer events or to brighten up your wardrobe, you can add a pop of color through your accessories. This is a great way to make your little black dress fit a wide variety of events.
- Always refer to the dress code mentioned on the invitation to see if a little black dress will fit the event. Most couples will display their dress code, but you can also use the location as a major hint. An event at a ballroom will often be more formal than a barn style wedding.
Find the Perfect Little Black Dress for Any Big Day
When it comes to weddings, styles change constantly but a little black dress is a classic piece you can always rely on. Plus, these shoes go perfectly with a little black dress? Choosing any piece from the list above will give you the perfect closet staple, from summer styles to winter nuptials, there is something for every wedding. Once you find your perfect little black dress, it can last in your wardrobe for years to come.