Most women have at least one red dress in their closet. Many people think it is challenging to match their makeup with their red dress, but it is pretty simple. You need to match the makeup, not only with the dress but also with your skin tone. You want to be eye-catching for all the right reasons.
The best makeup to complement your red dress is a bold red lipstick with subtle eye makeup or intense eye makeup with a more low-key lip color like nude. But for another look, copper and gold look great with a red dress. Just make sure your makeup is neutral.
You have a plethora of choices regarding what makeup you choose to wear with a red dress. You want your makeup to look gorgeous but not too noticeable. Read below to find out the best makeup to wear with a red dress.
Is Matching Makeup with a Red Dress Hard?
Matching makeup with a red dress is not complicated because there are many options to choose from. When applying makeup to match a red dress, you can do dramatic red lips and minimal eye makeup to focus on the lips and the red dress.
You can also go the other route and apply bolder eye makeup, such as a soft smoky grey eye, or you could do copper or gold and different neutral colors. You can wear muted lipstick to complete the look. There are various ways you can go with this.
No matter which looks you choose to create to match your red dress, you need to be mindful of eye makeup. You want to avoid bright blues and greens. Stick with neutral colors or a softer, less dramatic smoky eye look. You want to envision the whole picture and make an impression.
If you want an intense look, you can wear red lipstick. Before applying it, prepare your lips using foundation around your lips, and then apply the lipstick with a brush. This process is a super-easy way to make heads turn.
It is also important to remember that the rule of wearing the red dress is that you can either do dramatic lips or dramatic eyes, but not both. Use colors that complement your skin tone. There are specific colors that are appropriate for the red dress. Stick with them. You could even pair up your red dress and makeup to dress up like the 80s with normal clothes.
What Makeup Color Goes with Red Dress?
You have several options as to what makeup you can wear with a red dress. You get to be as dramatic or understated as you want. The following include the best makeup to wear with a red dress:
- Red Lips and understated eyes – You can pair a dramatic red lipstick with simpler eye color. Mascara is a must. You could Wear a soft shade like nude or even a barely-there pink on your eyes with a little bit of eyeliner. This application will draw attention to your red lips and red dress.
- Go heavy on the eyes – Gold and copper metallic tones work great with a red dress. Be bold with your mascara and put on three coats. A smoky gray eyeliner adds a touch of mystery.
Avoid a smoky black eye because it can come off as tacky if done incorrectly. Nude lipstick completes the look.
- Natural makeup – Keep the look simple with natural or soft coral eyeshadow, a little bit of liner, one coat of mascara, and either nude lips or sheer or glossy pink lips. This look will allow the red dress to have all the spotlight.
- Go for a more understated smoky eye look – Try a soft shade of grey with black eyeliner. Wear two coats of mascara and nude lipstick. This look will make your dress pop. It is a smart-looking alternative to the more dramatic smoky eye with heavy eyeliner.
- Everything is peachy – You could wear peachy bronze eyes and cheeks. You will exchange the blush for bronzer, which is a look Jennifer Lopez wears very well. A deep bronze eye shadow with a double coat of mascara and blended eyeliner looks great.
Complete the look with a glossy nude color or a nude with a peachy undertone.
- Silver eyes and red lips – This one is for the more adventurous wearer. Lady Gaga has been spotted wearing this look. Wear a shimmery silver eye shadow with heavy mascara and dark eyeliner with matte red lips. Blend the shadow to the brow for bolder eye makeup.
You will be surprised by how wonderful this looks!
- Pretty in Pink – Pink is just a softer shade of red. The two shades compliment each other. Try a pale pink lip color with a rosy, pink eyeshadow, then apply eyeliner and a double coat of mascara. Pick a pink that works well with red to create a balanced look.
- Winged eyeliner – Wear dark eyeliner and extend it outside of the lash line to form what looks like a tiny wing just outside the eye. Pair this with a nude shimmering eyeshadow and one coat of mascara to understate the rest of the makeup.
Wear whatever color lipstick you want, as long as it complements the red dress.
- Dewy – Do a metallic eyeshadow and liner with glowing moisturized skin. The metallic eye makeup looks perfect with freshly hydrated skin. Apply a liquid highlighter just below the brow and on the cheeks. This presentation will create a dewy look that is to die for. Wear a pinkish nude lip gloss to complete the look.
- Medium intensity smoky eye – Use black and grey eyeshadow for smoky eyes. You need a primer so it will last a long time. The darker color will create a crease over your upper brow bone. The dark color should be used as a pull toward the inner eyelid. Use a black liquid eyeliner to polish off the look. Wear a subtle lip color.
- Ombre red lips – This is a new trend that is becoming very popular. First, put concealer all over your lips. Not too thin, but not too thick. Then, apply the red lipstick to the center of your lips, keeping it in the center. Keep the most intense part of the lip color in the inner lip area.
Blend out lipstick with a brush. Lightly pat and meld the color to your liking. Make sure you choose a red that stands out. Wear subtle eye makeup to complete the look.
These looks are all stunning looks to wear with a red dress. You are sure to make some hearts skip a beat with these traffic-stopping looks. Be sure to pick the look that is right for you. Makeup applications can make or break an outfit, and these various looks are sure to please. Explore these tips on what to wear to a 70s party to make sure every detail, including your makeup, is on point.
How Do I Do My Makeup with a Red Dress?
Marlena Stell does this video from makeupgeek.com. In the video, Marlena describes makeup to wear with a red dress and how to apply the product for the best results.
- To begin, Marlena applies a flesh-colored paint pot to the lids of her eyes coming up to the brow. A paint pot is a primer coat used before the application of eye shadow.
- Using a neutral eyeshadow palette on her eyes, starting with a dark brown mocha, then blending with a brush on the eyelids. She then blends the dark brown with a lighter brown; and uses the color latte, a medium taupe brown. In turn, she then blends it into the crease and smoothes out any harsh lines.
- She blends crème Brulee eyeshadow, warm color to contrast the dark brown. Blend into the crease and come up a bit higher close to the brow. Apply a shade close to your skin tone. Marlena uses peaches and cream because she is fair-skinned. She applies it close to the brow to soften up her look.
- She ends up with a classic brown, dark smoky eye. To make her eyes stand out, she applied glitter glue to the center of her eyelids, then blends it in by dabbing it. She uses a taupe, silvery brown color to further accent the eyes, and applies on the center of the lid, and blends out.
- For a more dramatic look, Marlena recommends applying false lashes.
- She wears a soft pink creamy blush to make her look a bit dewy. She wears a muted color lipstick, which comes out a bit pink because of her lip pigment.
- She finishes off the look by applying shimmery nude lip gloss. The makeup highlights her natural beauty.
This video will help guide you through the application and color choice. The outcome is a gorgeous l look that goes well with a red dress. It would also be helpful to explore The Top 5 High Fashion Brands in the World to learn about their makeup palettes and buy your new equipment from one of these luxurious brands.
What Color Eyeshadow Should You Wear with Red?
The best eyeshadows with a red dress include gold or copper tones or subtle gray eyeshadow with dark eyeliner. Avoid bright or multi-colored eyeshadow. The worst shades of eyeshadow to wear with a red dress include:
- Blue Eyeshadow
- Yellow Eyeshadow
- Purple Eyeshadow
- Green Eyeshadow
If you feel like a more modest look, try nude or beige eyeshadow. It will make people take note of the red dress. You could also play up the makeup with a darker, more dramatic eyeshadow on the upper lid above the nude or beige color.
There are also specific rules about what color hair looks right with whatever color eyeshadow. Blond hair looks great with red lipstick. Depending on how blond the hair is, they look better with vivid red lipstick and understated eye color.
However, if it is a warmer shade of blond, nude lips look better. Brunettes can use eyeshadow that is in the brown and beige range of color. If the hair is a dark brunette shade, a dewy metallic eyeshadow will look beautiful.
The emphasis should be on the eyes. Copper, gold, and bronze tend to look better on brunettes. Red hair can look fantastic with copper or gold, or you can even experiment with silver eyeshadow. Do not wear bright colors. Be careful what colors you choose with a red dress.
Redheads also look incredible in pink. Pink lips, pink cheeks, and a pinkish nude eyeshadow is a great look. Remember that you can have either pink or yellow undertones to your complexion. Choose the best eye color to match your skin.
Red is a vibrant, noticeable color. When you wear it, you can feel ultra sexy and powerful. It is essential to find the perfect makeup to wear with your red dress. You have lots of different looks you can choose from. Make sure you pick the right colors for you.
If you have the red dress on with the right makeup, you will turn heads and make a lasting impression. And, don’t forget to wear one of The 10 Most Popular Women’s Perfume Right Now! to spicy up every step you walk in your red dress.