When some people think of makeup, they usually think of “full face” makeup – that is, makeup that is heavy enough that you can tell the person is wearing makeup right away. However, some of the most beautiful makeup looks involve makeup that does nothing more than accentuate your natural beauty.
Below you’ll find a breakdown of five of the most stunning natural makeup looks you can try for a vibrant and luminous glow that will have people questioning whether you’re even wearing any. You’ll also learn a few tips on how to get the most out of a natural makeup look.
Does Natural Makeup Look Better?
Natural makeup is considered a superior look to heavy or full-face makeup for many people, especially those who tend to go with a more casual fashion style.
A heavily made up face can look out of place if you generally go around in tee-shirts and jeans. Some people also may not be able to wear a dramatic makeup look like smokey eyes or a dark lip if they work in a conservative workplace.
Natural makeup looks aren’t necessarily better than more unnatural or colorful makeup looks. Even so, there are a few advantages that natural makeup looks have over more heavy makeup
- Saved time: In general, natural makeup looks take a lot less time to put together than unnatural ones. In a natural look, some aspects of the makeup may be left off (such as eyeliner or blush). If you need to get out of the house in a hurry in the morning,
- Saved money: Because natural makeup looks don’t involve as many different colors or supplies as more involved makeup looks, you won’t be spending as much money on your makeup budget when you make a natural look your signature look.
- Accentuates your natural beauty: Many more dramatic makeup looks are almost a piece of art in and of themselves. Natural makeup is more about giving you a flawless look without making it look artificial.
- Less adjustments: If you wear a heavy makeup look, you may find yourself having to touch up your eyeliner or lipstick frequently throughout the day. Not only do you not have to do this as much with a natural makeup look, you’re also less likely to deal with raccoon eyes or other makeup emergencies if you cry or get caught in the rain.
- Healthy look: Wearing a natural makeup look can give you a radiant vibe that makes you look as if you’re glowing with health. If you tend to have issues like dark under-eye circles or skin issues like rosacea, people may perceive you as unwell. A light natural makeup look can smooth your complexion and improve perceptions of you.
Many people prefer a natural makeup look when they try it up against a more heavy makeup look, and the benefits of going “naked” are numerous.
What Do I Need for a Natural Makeup Look?
To pull off a great natural makeup look, there are several makeup elements that need to come together. It’s also important to remember that each of these elements needs to be applied with a light touch to pull off a truly natural look.
Here are the basic elements that you need to build a natural makeup style:
- Set up a natural base for your facial skin. With natural makeup looks, it’s all about that glowing, blemish-free complexion. If you’re interested in setting up a natural makeup routine, focus first on buying toners, primers, foundations, and finishing powders that help accentuate your skin and leave it flawless.
- Avoid full coverage foundation. Tinted moisturizers and sunscreens can help give you a touch of foundation coverage to smooth out your complexion without giving it that caked-on heavy look.
- Try some highlights. Running a highlighter across your cheekbones can give you a natural glowing, dewy look. You should also use concealer to illuminate the T-zone of your face – your forehead and the bridge of your nose.
- Don’t forget the blush. Adding a light touch of cream blush across your cheekbones can give you a flushed, vivacious vibe that is completely in line with the natural makeup look. Just be careful to go with more light and peachy tones rather than a dark blush to avoid an unnatural look. Blending your blush is also key to keeping it natural.
- Light eye makeup. Just because you’re going for a natural makeup look doesn’t mean you can’t wear eye makeup like eyeliner and mascara. It just means you have to take a bit of a lighter hand with it in application.
- Hydrate your skin. Before you even put on any makeup (natural look or no) you should put a lot of effort into keeping your skin well-hydrated. One way to do this is to regularly apply a facial moisturizer, but you can also improve your skin’s hydration just by making sure you drink enough water throughout the day.
By following the tips above, you should be well on your way to establishing a natural makeup look. The branded products you use will depend on your skin type and the exact kind of natural vibe you’re going for.
If you want to learn about the essential products needed for a facial check out this article!
5 Stunning Natural Makeup Looks
If you want to wear a natural makeup look but you’re not sure where to start, we’ve got you covered. Try out one of these five stunning natural makeup looks below for a jumping-off point on your signature natural look.
Monochromatic Natural Look
The monochromatic natural makeup look is a take on natural makeup look where you use the same basic shades in your eyes, lips, and cheeks. This can give your natural makeup a unified vibe. By choosing natural shades such as peach and sand that complement your complexion, you’ll be able to show a hint of color that still manages to keep your look light.
When you’re using monochromatic makeup with a natural look, the most important thing is to choose a color that doesn’t stand out against your natural skin color. It’s a good idea to go with taupe and nude shades.
Another aspect of the monochromatic natural look that can help your look feel put together is going with a bronzer. This product along with a dusky gold palette for your eyes and lip can create an effortless 24-carat look. You can pull off a glowing monochromatic palette in any season, too.
Naked Natural Look
By far one of the most popular natural makeup looks is the “naked” or “nude” makeup look. This is one of the most natural-looking variations. It’s also one of the easiest natural makeup looks to pull off.
Here are a few tips for pulling off the naked natural look
- Focus on your skin. A flawless skincare regimen is the key to pulling off a naked makeup look. Make sure that your skin stays hydrated with moisturizers and invest in a good primer to prevent any makeup you layer on your face from sliding off.
- Go with a cream blush. Cream blush tends to be more subtle than powder blushes and bronzers. It should also blend in smoothly with other cream-based products to give your face an airbrushed, polished look.
- Use a warm eyeshadow. Warm eyeshadow colors such as peach and gold have a more natural look than cooler eyeshadows like blue and green.
When it comes to setting up a naked natural makeup look, the biggest tip to remember is to keep the look light. Going with makeup products that are tinted or have a translucent look can make you look effortless without putting a lot of layers on your face.
If you are interested in taking an online brow and eyelash tinting course check out this article.
Many people have heard about cat eyes, but a lighter variation of the cat eye that is more compatible with a natural makeup look is the kitten eye. A kitten eye is similar to a cat eye except that it only adds liner to the top lid and is created with a short wing that is slanted upwards.
A big advantage of the kitten eye is that this look can be paired with a more natural-looking makeup look without being overpowering since it keeps your eye makeup from looking too dark and unnatural. It also gives the eyes an uplifted, youthful look.
Here are some tips for pulling off a perfect kitten eye look to go with your natural makeup
- Use liquid liner for the best approach. Liquid liner can help give you the crisp edge that will make your kitten eye pop even if the line isn’t as elongated as a cat eye.
- Try a softer, smudged kitten eye. If you’re worried you don’t have the eyeliner skills to pull off a good kitten eye, you can imitate the look by using an angled brush and dark eyeshadow to imitate the shape of a kitten eye for a less-defined look.
Just because you’re going for a more natural look doesn’t mean that you have to go without eye makeup. Using a kitten eye liner will brighten up your look and draw attention to your eyes without drawing attention to your makeup.
Skip the Mascara
You might think that skipping the mascara will leave you with a makeup look that seems sleepy and unfinished, but the truth is that many makeup artists in high fashion routinely skip mascara because it’s so messy and time-consuming. If you want to pull off this runway-ready look, here are a few tips for keeping your eyes looking natural by skipping the mascara
- Invest in a lash curler. A lash curler can help accentuate your natural eyelashes without causing you to whip out your mascara wand.
- Use eyeshadow to darken eyes. Pressing a bit of dark matte eyeshadow to your lash line with an angled brush can give you a fuller lash look without needing mascara.
- Use eyeliner. A thin line of eyeliner close to the upper lash line will make your eyelashes look fuller even if you aren’t wearing mascara to go with it. Just make sure there are no gaps between the lash line and the eyeliner to avoid an unnatural look.
Mascara can be one of the most artificial additions to your makeup look, so if you still want to wear mascara with your makeup in a natural makeup look, it’s best to limit applications to one pass at best. The more layers of mascara you add to your lashes, the more unnatural your makeup will appear.
Popsicle Lip Tint
A full lip with dark lipstick is associated with a heavy makeup look, not a natural makeup look. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t add a little color to your lip and still keep your look effortless and light. One way to do this is to do a “popsicle lip tint” instead of using a full lipstick.
To achieve a popsicle lip tint, dab a bit of liquid lip color in the center of your lips after gently exfoliating them with a scrub and prepping your lips with primer. Once you’ve applied the color, blend the color outwards before adding a layer of clear lip gloss over it.
Natural Makeup Looks Are Easy to Pull Off
Natural makeup looks have become very popular over the past few decades, and with good reason. Unlike full face makeup looks, which can make you look older if they’re applied too heavily, natural makeup looks are perfect for taking years off your face.
If you are interested in getting an online esthetician certification visit this article!