Leggings are fun and trendy, and they are not just for the gym anymore. They come in a wide array of fabrics and styles, including leather, shiny, neutral, or patterned. Leggings come in many different colors. They can also be ankle length, mid-calf, or below the knees.
As a whole, leggings have become multi-purpose; however, they should only be worn with certain types of shoes. For the gym, you should protect your feet and wear sporty sneakers. On a date, you can wear sexy heels. It all hinges on the look you are going for.
Also, keep in mind the season you are in when choosing the correct pair of shoes. You can also mix up colors, providing they do not clash with each other. However, being a little bold with your fashion sense never hurt anybody. Read on to find out about ten shoes you can wear with leggings.
What Types of Shoes are Best With Leggings?
Everyone loves leggings. The love has become stronger over the past couple of years because people adopted a relaxed attitude during the pandemic. You may begin your outfit with the leggings, but you need to coordinate your top and your shoes. See below for a list of footwear that fits, to help you look your best:
- Contrasting Ankle Boots – Contrasting refers to being a different color than your leggings. You can wear a gray or tan ankle boot with black leggings. You can even wear faux snakeskin or animal print ankle boots with black leggings. The outfit should look put together, and the colors should complement each other.
- Black Ankle Boots – Black is a classic color and easily pairs with black leggings. Black ankle boots look great with any color leggings.
- Over the Knee Boots – This type of boot makes your legs appear longer when paired with leggings. Keep colors matching.
- Kitten Heels – This is a curvy heel, usually between 1 and 2 inches in height. It presents with the look of the heel minus the height that typical heels tend to offer.
- Sneakers – There are a plethora of sneakers that can be worn with leggings. You can wear anything from the traditional sporty type of shoe to something a bit more bold, like a pair of retro gold or silver-colored sneakers.
- Contrast Combat Boots – Combat boots for women include lace-up front and chunky lug soles. They were popular in the 90’s grunge era. Doc Martens seem to be a favorite.
- Hiking Boots – These shoes can be stylish, yet they offer the support needed when walking on uneven ground or going rock climbing. They come in many different colors. There are so many great women’s shoes to wear hiking.
- Flats – Ballet flat shoes look elegant and add a touch of feminine energy to an outfit with leggings. You can get all the different colors. They mostly come in light pink, nude, or black.
There are many selections in the categories listed above. See the chart below for a comparison of pricing, shoe type, and where to buy:
|TYPE OF SHOE||BRAND NAME||SHOE NAME||WHERE TO BUY||PRICE|
|Contrasting Ankle Boot||PiePie Buy||Chelsea Pump Ankle||Amazon||$ 49.98|
|Black Ankle Boot||Life Stride||Jezebel Ankle boot||Amazon||$ 55 – $140|
|Over the knee boot||Vince Camuto||Over the Knee||Amazon||$ 105.33|
|Kitten Heels||MOOMMO||Kitten Heels||Amazon||$ 59.99|
|Sneakers||Sketchers||Fashion Sneaker||Amazon||$ 40 – $ 60|
|Contrast Combat Boot||Dr Martins||Combat Boot||Amazon||$ 90 – $202|
|Hiking Boots||AX Boxing||Hiking Boot||Amazon||$ 40.99|
|Flats||Ataiwee||Ballet Flats||Amazon||$ 22 – $ 35|
There are several choices, as you can see, to go with your leggings. Some are pricey but worth the cost as some are tried and true and will take care of your feet for years. Dr. Martins never wear out; the chances are that you will wear out before they do.
What Types of Shoes are Not Good With Leggings?
There are a variety of shoes that pair well with longer leggings. However, when it comes to cropped or shorter leggings, the choices are limited. It is best to stick with sporty shoes for the gym or slides when you wear cropped leggings.
Heels or pumps, for example, should never be worn with cropped leggings. It would look awkward and out of place—ditto for boots of any length. A big bulky winter boot with cropped leggings would not be appropriate. Below is a list of shoes you should NOT wear with leggings of any length:
- Wedge Sneakers – These large and chunky shoes do not pair well with leggings. They are heavy on the feet and do not promote a balanced look with leggings.
- Ankle Strap Shoes – These shoes are made from a material that is rough on the skin. They look too big and gaudy when paired with leggings.
- Crocs – Unless you are in a hospital, these shoes should not be worn. They take all the potential class out of a great pair of leggings.
- Brogues – They may be comfortable, but they are odd-looking, especially with leggings.
- Sock Boots – Have a shoe sole and a sock upper. Since the upper is a stretchy material, it will look like your shoe is attached to your leggings. A better choice would be a traditional boot.
As seen above, these shoes would not be the best choice to pair with leggings. Follow the links to see them, and you be the judge. Check below to see a sampling of 10 types of shoes to wear with leggings.
10 Shoes to Wear With Leggings
When you put together shoes with leggings, you must be mindful of the style of leggings you are going to wear and how the type of shoes pair with the leggings. Considering the marriage of the shoes and leggings and how they will work in synergy is not only fashionable, it is wise.
See below a list of 10 shoes to wear with leggings. There are more than 10; however, these are a solid selection of the most popular picks. Click on the links to see a random sample of each type of shoe.
This bold type of shoe definitely makes a statement. These shoes can be worn with black or leather leggings if you are going on a date or for a night on the town. The best type of top to wear with this is a flowy or long top that goes past your waistline. The combination of the shoes with a flowy top makes you look gorgeous and well put together, and it upgrades your leggings from casual to evening wear.
Knee boots look fantastic with leggings, especially the patterned ones. Believe it or not, a pair of cowboy boots work well with a nice pair of leggings. Knee boots are generally preferred with leggings, as they look smart and stylish. They look fashionable whether they come with or without heels. Knee boots look great paired with leggings for the fall.
Ugg boots are the ultimate casual look for the trendy college kid. They look so warm and cozy. The bulky shape of Ugg boots makes your legs appear slimmer. They come in many different styles now; everything from sequined to bright pink, and of course, the classic version. Ugg boots with leggings create the perfect look for winter.
Over the Knee Boots
This look is absolutely not for the shy because over-the-knee boots make a statement. Think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Over the knee boots should be three or more inches above the knee. They look great with a pair of tight black leggings. It is an excellent look for the winter.
Ankle boots pair well with leggings. The look is classy and sheek. Black ankle boots are striking, and there are many stylish choices, whether they have or do not have heels. When you wear ankle boots with leggings, you will look well put together, and this is a clever look for the fall.
Flats work for those who are clumsy in heels and prefer a more casual look. When paired with leggings, flat shoes look feminine without the more pronounced heel. They are ideal for those who want to shy away from heels that are difficult to walk in or may not be comfortable. Flats are some of the best shoes for being on your feet all day. You can wear ballet flats to look super cute.
The type of sneaker you wear will certainly be of a sporty nature if you are going to the gym. For party wear, you can be more experimental. You can even wear your leggings with bubble gum pink sparkly sneakers if you want. Wearing sneakers with leggings is very much in style, especially for the young millennials.
Sandals are an unusual choice with leggings, but they can be worn. Your feet must be in good condition to pull off this look. You can wear anything from high-heel sandals to a modest pair of flip-flops. They look great with cropped or short leggings during the spring and summer months. If you want to wear sandals for a date night, opt for a pair with heels. Black leggings pair well with glossy sandals.
Slip-on sneakers are sneakers for those who do not care to lace up. They are easy and carefree. They can look phenomenal with leggings when you want to go for a casual look. Try to match the shoes with the leggings, though, as slip-on sneakers can look cheesy and adolescent if they are not color-coordinated with the leggings.
Slides are neat-looking slip-on shoes that can be both elegant and street. They can work for yoga classes or a casual date. Slides are incredibly light and easy to walk in. Most people say they are as comfortable or almost as comfortable as going barefoot. They come in distinctive styles and colors. Slides look like a fancier pair of flip-flops. They are comfortable and easy to wear.
Leggings are the new skinny jean when it comes to being both casual and flirty. With the right pair of shoes, you can wear them to the gym, or you can wear them out on a date. It all depends on the sort of look you are trying to convey to the world. The shoes make the outfit stand out.
Leggings have become very versatile, as they can work for both daytime wear to the gym and evening wear on a date. They work well with certain types of shoes and not so well with others.
What type of shoes you wear depends on the look you are going for. Use this listing as a guide for the appropriate shoes to wear with leggings.
While you are trying to figure out what goes with leggings, make sure you check out things you should not wear with leggings.