One staple in every woman’s closet is their LBD, otherwise known as the little black dress. It’s go-to for a variety of occasions, whether it’s a job interview, receiving an award, or going out for a hot date night with a French cutie you met last week. While these gorgeous numbers can stand alone, women still wonder the best ways to accessorize their LBD.
Stepping out into the world in your LBD is a show-stepping event in itself. But if you want to add a little style, flare, and pizazz to your look, then you need to know the best ways to accessorize. This blog will show you everything you need to know about taking your LBD to the next level (while making all of your friend’s jaws drop).
Still looking for the perfect LBD, but don’t want to spend an arm and a leg? Shop these cheap little black dresses!
How Do You Match Accessories with a Dress?
Not everyone is accessory-savvy. If that’s you, don’t worry – you’re not alone. The good news is, mixing and matching accessories isn’t as challenging as it might seem. When it comes to matching accessories with your dress, there are five key things to keep in mind.
Accessories Change Based on the Occasion
The first thing you need to think about is where you’re going. An accessory that might be fun for a girl’s night out, such as a leather jacket, might not be ideal for a job interview. Keep the edginess at bay for professional occasions while personal events can be riddled with your style.
Indulge in Your Style
Everyone has their specific tastes. Keep this in mind when searching for accessories. Some women will want a bold look with bright colors, while others want a sensuous style with deep red and maroon accessories.
Don’t Overdo It
Some women might think the more, the merrier. But overdoing it with accessories can drown your style and make it appear messy. If you have a larger-than-life necklace with a bold print, you want to keep your earrings minimal.
You can also match minimal jewelry with stylish little black dresses with sleeves to keep the attention on the dress.
It’s more than welcome to mix and match with colors, just as long as they don’t clash. Don’t think you have to wear accessories of the same color, though. While smaller pieces of jewelry can match, larger items – such as the heels and purse – can complement each other with different shades.
Here is a great website for finding complementary colors.
5 Perfect Accessories That Go With A Little Back Dress
Ready to turn your little black dress into a fashion statement? These five perfect accessories are great for little black dresses. Everyone can find something that matches their style preferences and occasion. Get ready to get styling.
1. Using Jewelry
When it comes to finding accessories for an LBD, jewelry is the obvious choice. That’s because it’s the easiest way to make your look stand out, without doing too much. Plus, there are a plethora of options, so it’s easy for every woman to find something that works for them. Our top three picks for jewelry accessories include:
- Pearls are one of the top picks for accessories with a little black dress. They ooze class and posh, which completely changes your appearance. With a set of pearls around your neck, you become a desirable yet unattainable woman with chic appeal.
- Detailed jewelry. Another swell option for making a statement in your LBD is to add some jewelry with detail. This could be something alluring, like leopard print, or something more intricate like a large tattoo Make it bold with bright and intense colors.
- Keep it simple. Matching jewelry sets are ideal for an LBD. It keeps your look minimal yet still striking. It also adds to the sleek and chic look of the LBD. Keep in mind that matching sets should feature small doses of colors. Too much redundancy can appear plain or overly simple.
2. A Pretty Sweater or Jacket
If you’re headed out on the town in your LBD in the middle of fall, you’re going to want to bring a sweater or jacket along for the ride. The best part about adding an extra layer is that it completely changes your look. This is a great option for those who simply want to stay warm or for the girls who don’t fancy jewelry. What are the best choices?
- Faux fur. Faux fur is going to create an elegant and sophisticated finish that’s perfect for a fancy dinner.
- Leather jacket. Feeling edgy? Leather jackets take the typical LBD into a cool, city-ready dress that can waltz the streets of New York City in style.
- A peacoat is a simple way to keep warm while staying cute.
- A sweater of any kind can work wonders with your LBD. Plus, they aren’t so bulky that you hide your LBD entirely. Sticking with a black sweater is a surefire way to stay chic. You can also gold bold by indulging in bright colors, including white, pink, orange – the possibilities are endless. Add pizazz with patterns!
- Jean jacket. Feeling punk-rock? Jean jackets over an LBD create a cool and casual look. You become more approachable and party-ready, whether you’re parting in West Hollywood or your friend’s backyard.
3. Carrying Purse
Most women know how essential a purse is, no matter where they are traveling to. But most girls don’t want to wear their everyday bag with their LBD – it just doesn’t match up! When styling with your LBD, keep a few of these bags in mind.
- Oversized shoulder bag. Looking to stay on the casual side? An oversized bag might be your best friend. Casual gals can get away with a large shoulder bag with plenty of prints and designs. Trying to keep it snazzy? An oversized nude bag will still read professionally.
- Crossbody bag. A crossbody bag is likely the favorite style for an LBD. That’s because it draws more attention to your physique, which looks incredible in the LBD. Crossbodies are excellent choices, especially if they are brightly colored or a darker tint with a chain strap.
- The clutch is the classic go-to when it comes to accessorizing with a little black dress. The options are limitless with a clutch, but some of the favorites include leather or velvet numbers that evoke sensuality and confidence. You can go for a more laid back look, too, by opting for a neon shade or print.
4. Perfect Shoes
When it comes to shoes, one thing should be clear – you don’t have to wear heels. Unless, of course, you want to. And most women will. But that doesn’t mean that you’re destined to shove your foot into a high-heel and call it a day. There are so many wonderful options when it comes to shoes that go with a little black dress.
Some of the best out-of-the-box ideas include:
- Combat boots
- Thigh-high boots
- Skinny ankle boots
- Ballet flats
- Peep-toe heels
- T-bar shoes
When it comes to choosing the right shoe for your look, remember the two most important rules: base it off the occasion and your style. Combat boots aren’t great for a job interview, but they’re great for the downtown bar. Ballet flats will work well with a swing LBD, while thigh-high boots will complement a body con LBD. Peep-toe heels will be perfect when wearing a little black dress to a wedding!
5. Belts are Everything
Most little black dresses have women serving plenty of body. That’s why most women love them! There is something about an LBD that makes you feel gorgeous and confident. The dress itself is slenderizing and powerful.
Want to kick it up a notch? Then do just one thing – add a belt to your LBD.
Adding a belt to your little black dress will create an even grander silhouette. It will give you more of an hourglass shape that draws attention to your figure.
There are many options when it comes to a belt. Keep it simple with a thin, neon strap around the waist. Go bold and bring the 80s back to life with a thick belt, placed a bit lower on the waist. Get edgy and wear studs!
What Color Jewelry Goes Best with a Black Dress?
Almost every color of jewelry goes well with a little black dress. That is one of the reasons why they are so immensely popular. You simply can’t go wrong!
However, if you’re looking for the best colors to wear with an LBD, you might want to consider a few things.
- Skip navy blue and brown. These colors simply don’t go with the color black. They create a washed-out appearance that is anything but bold, and that’s something you want to avoid when wearing your fearless LBD.
- Consider adding shades. Red has long been known for being the color of attraction. Wear it if you’re trying to up your sex appeal. All shades will work wonders. Purple is another fascinating color that oozes style and sexiness, so consider this color, too.
- Nudes always work. There is something so minimalistic yet fierce about an LBD with nude accessories. The subtlety is alluring.
- Get sassy with neon. Love to be the life of the party? Want all eyes on you? Then you need neon jewelry. Neon, whether it’s pink, yellow, or blue, is a great way to add some oomph to your look. Get ready to turn heads with this pairing.
- Don’t be afraid to go bold. Settling on a single color isn’t for everyone. And you don’t have to settle when it comes to your LBD. Don’t be afraid to go bold with colors, opting for a zebra print or a large necklace featuring a variety of shades.
- Silver and gold never get old. If you want to shine bright like a diamond in your LBD, then you can always opt for silver or gold accessories. Don’t mix them, though. If you’re wearing a gold necklace, don’t opt for silver earrings. Keep it the same type of metal, and you’ll sparkle through the night.
Mixing and matching accessories with an LBD is so much fun. This is because there is almost an endless supply of possibilities. When choosing your accessories, make sure to keep in mind the event and your likes. Your accessories will change depending on where you’re going and who you’re seeing. Don’t be afraid to go bold when you can.
Once you find the perfect accessories, you want to check out the best makeup to wear with a black dress!